Monty Python star turned film director Terry Gilliam dismisses rumours of further live dates for the comedy troupe
Terry Gilliam has called the Monty Python reunion “a thorn in my side” as the comedy quintet prepare for their ten sold-old shows at the O2 Arena this summer.
Last month, Gilliam confirmed that he’d started work on The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, his seventh attempt at making a film version of Cervantes’ masterpiece.
“The Python thing is a thorn in my side,” he said. “It was not part of the plan for this year. I need to be concentrating on Quixote, I’m directing an opera for the ENO and there’s an autobiography coming out as well. The Python thing came along and fucked me up because it’s a lot of work.”
He also dismissed claims fellow Python Terry Jones made in The Big Issue last year about further dates being added in the US. Jones said, “There’s always been an aura in America about the team, which means we might be able to do some shows over there”.
Gilliam responded, “Oh they all got excited, Terry was one of them. ‘We could make more money! America wants us!’ Luckily, Palin said he’s tied up next year travelling to all the bits of the world he hasn’t been to and I have a lot more things I want to be doing, so there won’t be more dates. We’re probably the ones ruining it for the others.”
Gilliam is currently promoting his latest film The Zero Theorem starring Christoph Waltz, released in cinemas March 14. Read more from Terry Gilliam, coming soon in The Big Issue…